Crafts Home >
Papier Mache Spray Painted Paper Bowl
craft paper and an old toothbrush to create a lovely gift!
Kids have great fun doing Papier Mache. In this easy, yet
creative project, kids get to create a more polished looking bowl
using simple papier mache techniques and some simple decorating
ideas. Using craft paper instead of ordinary newspaper lends the
bowl a nice texture and color. Spray painting and further
decorating embellishes the bowl for a perfect gift for Mom or
- Craft Paper of desired color (we have used pink color)
- Plastic bowl
- Petroleum jelly or any oil (cooking oil will also do)
- Scallop-edged scissors
- An old toothbrush
- Acrylic paints of desired color (we have used red)
- Paint Brush
1. Cut craft paper into 1 inch (approximately) squares.
2. Smear petroleum jelly or oil on the inside of the plastic
bowl that you have chosen for the project. Do not smear too much
oil or it will result in your craft paper pieces getting soiled.
3. Brush glue on the craft paper pieces and paste them on the
oiled bowl till the entire inner surface is covered. Overlap paper
pieces to cover any open areas and press down the pieces to remove
air bubbles. Make 2-3 more layers of the papers to thicken your
4. Let dry completely. When completely dry, loosen the sides of
the bowl with the back of your paint brush. Remove the bowl
holding it by edges.
5. Trim the edges of the bowl using scallop-edged scissors. Or
use any other decorative-edged scissors that you have. You can
also simply trim the edges with an ordinary scissor.
6. Dip an old toothbrush into acrylic paint and remove excess
paint. Hold your index finger on the head of the toothbrush and
use your thumb to push the toothbrush bristles back to release a
fine spray of paint. Spray on some rough paper/old newspaper first
to see if the spray is too thick or thin. Cover the inside of the
bowl first and let it dry completely before starting to
spray-paint the outside.
7. When both the inner and outer surfaces are done and
completely dry, dip the paint brush in acrylic paint and paint
some simple spirals inside and outside.
The bowl will make a pretty gift for your mother, teacher or
friends or for your own table!