Parenting Home > Pregnancy & Childbirth
Getting Back in Shape After Your
Baby is Born
often face weight problems after having children. After you have
your baby, it may be a while before you feel motivated to
exercise. That’s okay. Even without a planned exercise routine,
you can begin to get back into shape.
Bridget Swinney, M.S., R.D., author of “Eating
Expectantly” ($12; Meadowbrook Press), says there are
many reasons why exercise is so important. “Research has shown
that people who exercise regularly lose more weight and have the
best odds of keeping it off. Other benefits of exercise include
improved cardiovascular fitness, lowered heart rate, lowered blood
pressure, toned muscles, less body fat, improved immunity, and
more!” says Swinney.
Here are 10 sneaky ways to exercise from Swinney’s “Eating
1. Walk the dog. Not only will you be getting some exercise, your
pooch will appreciate it as well.
2. Shop ‘til you drop. Or you can walk around the entire mall and
3. Go dancing! Ballroom, country-western, or even square dancing
will do. Or put on your favorite music at home and cut a rug!
4. Take a stroll around a scenic place like a lake, a tree-lined
avenue, or a forest trail.
5. Go canoeing or paddleboating.
6. Do arm exercises using one-pound weights or cans of soup while
watching your favorite show.
7. Go to the pool and just walk from side to side. Bring a friend.
You won’t notice the time passing as you chat.
8. Try aerobic lawn mowing. Cut your grass with a push mower and
start a fad in your neighborhood.
9. Plant a garden. A bonus of gardening is enjoying the fruits of
your labor. If you don’t care for gardening, clean your house
often; vacuuming can be aerobic.
10. Set a walking date with a neighbor or coworker. Once you get
to talking, you’ll hardly notice the time or the exercise.
Always remember that you should start at your own pace, no matter
how slow it seems. You may need some time to get used to having a
baby in the house and to set up a new routine. Also, stretching is
important, even if you don’t feel like exercising. And if you can
find activities that you, your friends, and your family enjoy, you
won’t even notice that you are exercising during all the fun!
Expectantly” is a practical guide to prenatal
pregnancy, as well as offering helpful advice for the new mother.
Covering topics from high-risk pregnancies to menus and recipes
for all trimesters, this “must have” book will help any expectant
and new mother through one of the most incredible journeys in her
Author: FeatureSource Staff
Buy from Amazon -
Eating Expectantly : A Practical and Tasty Guide to Prenatal